feature request #3982
Update name in source data when moving a Description to another Taxon
This is related to #3791: Implement operation to move a Description to another Taxon and will be an analogous implementation to #3472 (update name in source data when changing an accepted taxon into a synonym)
See there for details.
Problem: if the nameInSource field is empty before, can we expect that all sources use the accepted taxon name or does it only mean that the information is not available. An automated functionality can only be used if the former is valid. Should the handling be configurable?
The best solution is to always store name used in source information with all sources, then there is no need to update it.
At least we do have freetext information in the new description that this data was moved from another name. So the data is not completely lost (but not shown to the public user).
#9 Updated by Andreas Müller 9 months ago
- Subject changed from [Discuss] Update name in source data when moving a Description to another Taxon to Update name in source data when moving a Description to another Taxon
- Assignee changed from Andreas Müller to Katja Luther
Finally I understood that this was already the case in the BM WebEditor. At the same time we agree that this feature often leads to incorrect data (as the name in source is often not the formerly accepted name but another one and someone simply forgot to enter it).
However, as it is consistent with former software behavior we decided to continue with updating the name in source.
Therefore open tasks:
- identify all relevant operations
- implement to copy of the accepted taxon to the name in source field
- make it configurable as not all projects may want to have it implemented such